Where would you rather live New York City or Chicago? Having lived in both New York and Chicago, I can tell you it is very difficult to pick one over the other. Both cities are extremely different; however, they do share some commonalities. If you live in either of these two cities for a while, you will feel like it’s your dream home.
New York Life Vs Chicago Life
Having to live in one or the other comes with several benefits and drawbacks. You may like its bustling economy and a high number of activities, but you will also dislike the fact that prices for almost everything are ridiculously high!
With this article, we hope to provide you with more insight into what each city has to offer so you can make a decision based on that.
New York is a place where you can visit one of its many museums, such as the MET or MOMA; go to an opera at Lincoln Centre; shop at Macy’s and Saks Fifth Avenue; eat in some of the best restaurants in the world (Nobu, Eleven Madison Park); and even get to live in.
What is it like living in New York
Living in New York City (NYC) offers exciting opportunities and experiences. All you may want to consider is the urge to live in New York. The City is currently ranked number 1 on our top 10 safest cities in the United States 2015 list.
There are also many recreational opportunities with plenty of parks, like Central Park and Prospect Park, where you can spend your free time.
When moving to NYC, you never know what type of new experiences life will offer. Just getting a slice of pizza can be a unique new experience that you might never have had before if your frame of reference is from living in Chicago or other mid-western cities.
You get to live right next to the biggest shopping mall in the world, which is one of the busiest places on earth.
Mortgage expenses in New York are relatively high compared to many other cities, but if you live right in the city center it might be worth it. Just like any major city, there are plenty of things that can be done nearby.
One good example is Times Square which has some great restaurants nearby and is fun for just walking around at night on a nice day.
Central Park offers public tours, family activities, live concerts, live theater, live performance art, yoga classes, and a central park Zoo at her eastern side.
What is it like living In Chicago
The plusses for Chicago are that it has a lot of jobs available if you have experience in certain fields. There are many job openings as there are people to fill those positions. Some of those jobs include being a cashier at a big retail store or working as a waiter at a restaurant.
The weather in Chicago is a little bit harsh during the winter months and can be a bit colder than in other places in America. There are plenty of outdoor activities to do in the spring and summer.
If you live in Chicago, you will live in a city with one of the best transit systems for an American city. You can live downtown and live like a local or live in a neighborhood where your kids can go to school and play outside without having to worry about it.
For nature lovers, a Bemis wood is a place you can’t miss. Carry packed lunch and enjoy the seven picnic groves. Big Run Wolf Ranch gives you an opportunity to have a closer look at wolves, bears, porcupines, and cayotes.
The food options are great in Chicago because you live where you can find every type of cuisine. There are many restaurants that are with live music, bars are everywhere and there are also live venues where bands come to play.
If the weather is not the best sometimes it’s good if your favorite restaurant has a backroom or a second floor where you can eat without getting wet.
Mortgages in Chicago are relatively affordable compared to New York. Your choice will depend on a variety of aspects such as the neighborhood, number of bedrooms, property type, outdoor space, and other items as you may wish.
Health services in Chicago are excellent. Some of the best hospitals in the United States are located there.
In Chicago live offered by local artists more than those from New York, since it is closer to the country where they live and have less expensive transportation.
Places to visit in Chicago
There are many exciting places to visit in Chicago: –
- Some of these most popular places include Millennium Park, Navy Pier, and Museum Campus.
- The United States is home to many different natural environments. New York has the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea (not in New York), while Chicago is close to Lake Michigan.
- Chicago also has nightlife well-equipped with live music, theaters, and cinemas.
- Chicago has a view from the Willis Tower which is known as the best city in America “We live in New York, so it’s more convenient for us,” Willy said.
- New Yorkers live in the middle of the action while Chicagoans live on beautiful outskirts.
- Meanwhile, people living near Chicago can enjoy beaches and forests within an hour of their homes.
Places to visit in New York
New York has exciting places you can visit in case you choose to live there: –
- Madison Square Garden is the most famous live event, concert place in New York. New York is at the heart of the world’s finance, fashion, and culture.
- Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum, which houses historical military aircraft that were used in World War 2.
- Chrysler Building is an icon strategically positioned and most famous skyscrapers.
- Coney Island has many attractions one of those being the Coney Island cyclone, and a classic wooden rollercoaster.
- Frick Collection is one of the most expensive art pieces in New York. It holds exemption pieces and works from prominent luminaries.
Whether you choose to stay in Chicago or New York you can decide to make great memories. I hope the above information will help you make the right decision about where you will live between New York and Chicago.
The choice is yours to make, all I can do is hope you make the right one that meets your needs. Follow me on Visiting Travelers Pinterest for more travel ideas.