The best cities to visit in Tennessee have a lot to offer. Tennessee is a constituent state in the Southeastern region of the United State. We were looking for a place that offers the perfect blend of urban and outdoor.
Best Cities To Visit In Tennessee
Tennessee has a variety of museums, cultural attractions, and outdoor activities. The outdoor activities include hiking, paddling, horseback riding, and cycling. Backdrop Mountain plateaus, waterfall, and rivers.
Visiting Nashville Tennessee
Nashville is the capital of the U.S. state of Tennessee. The city was founded in 1779. Country music started in Nashville. If you love music visit the country music hall of fame, TPAC, Bridgestone Arena, and the Tennessee Performing Arts Centre.
There are so many things you can do in Nashville including:
- Visit the Nashville farmer’s market.
- Check out Ryman Auditorium
- Visit Fontanel mansion Nashville
- Visit Musicians’ Hall of fame and museum
- Visit the centennial
- Eat at Etch restaurant
- Visit Andrew Jacksons Hermitage
- Visit the country music hall and museum
- Explore Johnny cash museum
- Visit the farmhouse
- Visit the grilled Cheeserie
- Enjoy Tootsies Orchid Lounge
Visiting Memphis Tennessee
Memphis is situated on the southwestern side of Tennessee. Memphis was founded in 1819. The name Memphis means Established and beautiful.
Memphis is home to Blues, R$B, Jazz, rap, and soul music. Cotton is grown in this area and it is mostly transported by rail or river.
You don’t just get cotton in Memphis; Memphis leads in hardwood trading and soybean processing. There are several heater organizations like the Memphis pink palace museum and historic exhibits.
There are so many things you can do in Memphis:
- You can see the grace-land.
- Experience the beauty shop restaurant
- Grab some ribs at Gorge at central BBQ
- Visit the Peabody rooftop party and ducks
- Reflect at National Civil rights Museum and Lorraine Motel
- Sing into Elvis’s mike at Sun Studio
- Chow down at Gus’s fried chicken
- Explore at the Stax Museum
Visiting Knoxville Tennessee
Knoxville is a city located in eastern Tennessee. The city is known as the streaking capital due to numerous streaking events. Other people call it the underwear Capital.
The Knoxville Zoo is home to more than 900 animals. The Zoo has the highest number of Red Panda cub births. The Knoxville Zoo is also the top breeders of white rhinos and species of snakes and tortoises.
There are so many things we did in Knoxville:
- We found the Peter Kern Library Speakeasy
- We visited Knoxville Museum of Art and I admit it is a beautiful gallery with a whole heap of art.
- You can find the Tennessee theatre. You will have to book a ticket.
- We shopped at the market square or should I say wandered around because we didn’t take a cab, we walked.
- See Knoxville from the Sun Sphere tower.
- Explored James White’s Fort
- Wandered down Strong Alley
- Chilled out at Mead’s Quarry Lake.
Visiting Chattanooga Tennessee
Chattanooga is a city in southeastern Tennessee. The place offers an incredible combination of breathtaking scenic beauty. There is a 13-mile Riverwalk scattered with attractions, parks, restaurants, and riverboats.
The city of Chattanooga is known for its beautiful natural surroundings. There are world-class climbing, hiking loops, kayak routes, and mountain biking trails.
There are so many things you can do at Chattanooga but I will name just a few:
- Visit the Tennessee Aquarium and see the world’s vibrant aquatic life.
- Enjoy Highpoint climbing Gym for a unique fitness experience. The place offers sport climbing, Bouldering, and yoga. Don’t worry about the kids, kid zone has all they need.
- Creative Discovery Museum will help your young ones explore and learn. There are exhibits like Science Theater, play gym, river play, and rooftop fun factory.
- Have time in the Tennessee valley railroad museum.
- Also, visit the Chickamauga National Military Park.
- The Chattanooga Zoo is a can’t miss. It offers wild encounter experiences, zoo tours, and Zoo Choo train.
Visiting Johnson City Tennessee
Johnson City is located in Washington Northeast Tennessee. The city was founded in 1879 by James Polk Johnson. The city lies in a valley in the southern Appalachian Mountains with a population of 63, 152. Johnson City is known for its old-time music.
These are some of the things you can do in Johnson City:
- Visit Reece Museum which is a center for art and history
- Check out Johnson city community theater
- Go to Johnson city public library
- Enjoy the Tweetsie trail
- Explore Buffalo Mountain Park
- See George L. Carter Railway Museum
- Visit Willows Spring Park
- Visit Founders Park
- Try out Tennery Knobs Mountain Bike Park.
We didn’t get time to visit the little Chicago Downtown Arts and Music Festival but I would love to in the future.
Visiting Clarksville Tennessee
Clarksville is a city located in the North of Tennessee. Clarksville was founded in 1784. The city is modern, booming, and known for its annual river fest. There are many places named Clarksville. 21 places share the name in America alone.
Clarksville developed a lot in the 19th century as a river depot for tobacco. Printing and manufacturing of heating and air conditioning units contribute a lot to the economy.
Here are some of the things we did at Clarksville:
- We visited the Fort Donelson National Battlefield. It was the North’s first major victory of the civil war and the 5th largest.
- We climbed the King’s Bluff for free. We were advised not to climb if we don’t have the experience.
- We strolled the riverfront. It featured one mile of walking trails, a picnic area, and skateboarded.
- You can go underground. Head to Dunbar cave state park. The cave is 8 miles long.
- A picnic at Liberty Park & Clarksville Marina will cool your head.
- We played golf at D&D Mini golf. It’s indoor and has 18 holes.
- We walked through the Arboretum that is situated along the Cumberland River in fairgrounds park.
- You can catch some live music at the Jammin’ event in the Alley.
Visiting Henderson Ville Tennessee
Henderson is a city in Sumner County, the northern border of Tennessee. The city is located 18 miles northeast of downtown Nashville. The city began around 1784 and was named after William Henderson. Henderson Ville is home to numerous musicians.
Here are some of the things to do in Henderson Ville:
- Visit the Mont Haven Arts and cultural center. This is a historical landmark. Art classes, exhibits, and galleries are available.
- A memorial park is a nice place for kids. There is a playground, picnic tables, and a gazebo. You will also find a tennis court, walking trails, and an athletic field.
- Sanders Ferry Park has a golf course, basketball court, fishing pier, and a model airplane field.
- You can also take your dog for a 1.4-mile loop at Old Lake Hickory Loop.
- There is a longer trail about 2-3 miles called the Shutes Branch. You can take your bike for an easy ride. The trail is rocky and has ups and downs.
- If you love meat, don’t pass the Moby Dicky’s. Cannot forget the yummy pork rinds, fried bologna sandwich, and tacos.
- Didn’t get time to visit the Lost Cajun, I heard the food is mouth-watering. Gumbo, beignets, and fried catfish are available.
Visiting Kingsport Tennessee
Kingsport is a city in the northeast of Tennessee. The city is small, rich, and beautiful. We enjoyed the outdoors, the galleries, restaurants, and museums.
There are many things you can do in Kingsport:
- Visit Bays Mountain Park and Planetarium.
- Grip outdoors Kingsport; there is a kayak, inner tube floaters, and floating coolers. Fishing rentals are also available on booking.
- Visit Kingsport Carousel; there are 32 animals, 24 sweep animals, and 2 chariots. The animals are carved and painted by hand. All Art is inside Pat’s roundhouse. The Roundhouse is available for rent at gatherings and functions.
- You can walk through the Kingsport Greenbelt. The 8-mile scenic trail runs through the city and the surrounding forest.
- Walk through the Warriors’ Path State Park. The trail will take you through the Tennessee wilderness. The Park has an 8.5-mile mountain biking trail, an 18-hole golf course, picnic areas, and a 134-site campground. Inside the park, there is Fort Patrick Henry Lake. The lake offers swimming, fishing, and boating.
- Pass through the Exchange place. The place has served as a plantation. There are unusual breeds of chickens, sheep, cattle, and horses.
Tennessee has a massive number of visitors each year. There is a variety of attractions in the state. You cannot miss something to do in Tennessee.
The cities are home to a wealth of historical and cultural attractions. Check this post on Places To Visit In Columbus Ohio if you love places with a blend of urban and outdoor.
There are lots of exhibits for music and art lovers. Hiking, fishing, biking, and walking are some of the fun things to enjoy.
I hope this post on the best cities to visit in Tennessee gave you some ideas that you can include in your trip. Please share it and also follow me on Visiting Travelers on Pinterest.